School Violence: A Tragic Reality

Image created by Bassey, A. using wordclouds.com

As a teacher, grappling with the idea of school violence is an unsettling reality that weighs heavily on my mind and impacts various aspects of my professional life. I do not want to be walking into a war zone every time I go to work, but I do it because I am passionate. There is a legitimate fear that came over me when I was watching the documentary, and a student admitted to making a 5-gallon bucket of napalm (Moore, 2002). It’s terrifying to me that people like that exist, and what’s more, he was mad he wasn’t the number one threat to the school; he was only number two. I could not imagine what number one did. The potential ramifications of school violence are profound and multifaceted, extending beyond mere physical safety to encompass emotional well-being, professional responsibilities, and the overall learning environment.

First and foremost, the safety and security of my students are paramount concerns. I would like to teach high school students, so they are old enough to understand the prevalence of this issue. That can make the situation heightened with emotion, creating a more dangerous issue. The thought of facing a crisis situation such as an active shooter scenario is a terrifying prospect that I must be prepared to confront but terrifies me to my core. In just the first four days of 2024, there were already 7 school shootings that resulted in people being killed or injured (School Shootings This Year?: How Many and Where?, 2024) Implementing safety protocols, participating in active shooter drills, and remaining constantly vigilant for signs of potential threats are all necessary precautions that I must take to protect my students and myself.

Moreover, the pervasive threat of school violence casts a shadow over the classroom environment, creating an atmosphere of fear and anxiety that can hinder the teaching and learning process. Nurturing a sense of trust and security among my students is essential for fostering a positive learning environment where they feel empowered to thrive academically and emotionally. Additionally, the emotional toll of school violence weighs heavily on me as an educator. The fear and trauma associated with incidents of violence can leave a lasting impact on students and staff alike, making it challenging to maintain a sense of normalcy in the aftermath. Providing emotional support and guidance to students who may be struggling to cope with feelings of fear or anxiety is a crucial aspect of my role as a teacher. Studies have shown that the use of social-emotional learning techniques not only can help after violence has happened but can prevent it from happening at all. A boy in Alaska turned in his own gun to a teacher after using SEL skills with a friend, preventing a tragedy (Vogel, 2008). As a teacher, I will absolutely be implementing SEL techniques in my classroom, especially knowing what they can do to prevent violence.

Furthermore, the prevalence of school violence necessitates ongoing dialogue and collaboration with colleagues, administrators, and community stakeholders to address underlying issues and implement effective prevention strategies. To quote from the CDC, “All students have the right to learn in a safe school environment…school violence can be prevented” (Preventing school violence, 2019) Engaging in discussions about school safety, advocating for policy changes on a local, state, and national level, and participating in professional development opportunities focused on crisis intervention are all ways in which I can contribute to efforts to mitigate the risk of violence in schools.

In conclusion, the specter of school violence looms large in my role as a teacher, impacting my sense of safety, the classroom environment, and my emotional well-being. By remaining vigilant, fostering a supportive learning environment, and actively participating in efforts to prevent violence, I strive to create a safer and more secure environment for my students and myself.

References

Vogel, T. (2008, February 26). Creating a safe place: Lessons on managing emotions pay off. Edutopia. https://www.edutopia.org/social-emotional-learning-across-curriculum

2 thoughts on “School Violence: A Tragic Reality”

1. I appreciated your focus on building trust and security among your students, which is crucial for creating a positive learning environment. Your dedication to ensuring their safety emphasizes your commitment to their well-being. I wonder if seeking support from mental health professionals could offer additional resources for addressing the emotional impact of school violence on both students and staff. Involving community resources may further strengthen your efforts in addressing this issue, as well as teaming up with local organizations for support. I am curious about how SEL techniques contribute to violence prevention; could you provide more insight into this? Overall, your proactive actions and willingness to work with others to solve problems related to school violence are impressive. You’re going to do very important work to make sure everyone stays safe at school when you become a teacher.

2. Hi Ann! I enjoyed reading through your blog post for this week, as I could relate to some things you said. As someone who also wants to be a high school teacher, the thought of a student possibly bringing a weapon to school looking to hurt people sends a chill down my spine. Your idea about implementing social-emotional learning techniques to prevent school shootings while also backing it up with proof stuck out to me. If we as educators show our students trust and create a nurturing learning environment, these tragic events are less likely to happen, such as your example with the boy in Alaska. I was wondering how you as a future educator would deal with the situation of a student who needs to speak to someone about their anxiety or depression problems, who refuses to do so. Situations such as these are unfortunately common, and we need to be prepared for them, as they could mean life or death for us. Expanding on this topic would add another level to your blog post, further elevating it. Overall, great job this week!